What do I do if I have to go to the local Emergency Room and I have V.A. Healthcare?
Non-VA Emergency Care Services
To qualify for emergency care at a Non-VA medical facility, you must meet all of the following criteria:
- You were provided care in a Non-VA local hospital emergency room.
- You are already enrolled in the VA Health Care System
- You have seen a VA doctor within the last 24 months
- You have no other form of health care insurance
- You DO NOT have coverage under Medicare, Medicaid, or a state program
- VA Health Care facilities were not feasibly available at the time of emergency.
- You must present or have someone present your VA patient identification card to the emergency room personnel at the time of your admission.
- The Non-VA medical facility MUST contact the VA within 72 hours by calling VA urgent care and the VA Fee Basis Office at the numbers listed
For those Veterans enrolled through the New Philadelphia VA Community Based Outpatient Clinic :
Have the Non-VA Medical Facility notify the Louis Stokes Cleveland VA Healthcare System’s Urgent Care at (216)-791-3800, Extension 4433/5596 and the Fee Basis Office at (216)-791-2300, Extension 2003.
For those Veterans enrolled through the St. Clairsville VA Community Based Outpatient Clinic :
Have the Non-VA Medical Facility notify the Pittsburgh VA Healthcare System’s Transfer Office at (412)-822-1078 and the Fee Basis Office at (412)-822-2500.