Recorders Office History
Recording real estate documents is based on law in England which traveled to the New World with the colonists. Registrars were appointed to keep accurate records. Registration was necessary to prove the rights of persons who first made claims to property.
In 1787, the Northwest Territory was former, encompassing lands north and west of the Ohio River. A Recorder's office was established in each county. In 1803, Ohio became a state and although the state constitution didn't prove for a Recorder's office, legislature did mandate the appointment of a Recorder in each county to be made by the Judge of the Court of Common Pleas. The Recorder's Office became an elective position in 1829. In became a four year term elective position in 1936.
Documents in the Harrison County Recorder's Office date back to 1813 (when the county was formed from parts of Tuscarawas and Jefferson counties) and are available to the public.
Throughout the decades, the major responsibilities of the County Recorder have been greatly changed and expanded. The Harrison County Recorder's Office has become an important segment of county government; the description of its official duties in the Ohio Revised Code (Chapter 317) is just an outline of the many functions of the office.